The qualifications have changed over the years from what was originally National Nursery Examination Board (NNEB),then National Vocation Qualifications (NVQ)to the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF) and in September 2019, this will change again.
The Qualification for Child Care Practitioners will be Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development. There are levels 2 and 3 but its level 3 at which they become qualified.
All our Child Care Practitioners are trained to NNEB/Cache/CCLD Level 3 standard and we also employ extra assistants who work alongside the Practitioners whilst training.
Mandatory training requirements are
• Child Protection,
• Paediatric First Aid (15 hours)
• Food Hygiene (Level 2)
Management are also trained in
• QCF Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Children’s Care, Learning and Development (Advanced Practise)
• HSE First Aid at Work (FAAW).
• Level 3 Supervising Food Safety.
The team regularly undertake training courses not only to ensure they stay up to date with current legislation but also to further their knowledge and update their skills and there is regular training throughout the year in relation to the Foundation Phase curriculum which includes Level 2 and 3 Welsh and also Welsh Methodology training.
Some extra courses (outside the Foundation Phase) which some of the team have attended in order to implement within the Nursery are:
• Baby Massage
• Sign Language
• Healthy Eating
• Positive Behaviour Management
• Play to Learn (all about how to develop physical and active play)
• Busy feet (developing play through music and movement)
• “Science is fun” Workshops
• Health and Safety
• Infection Control
We also have a dedicated Additional Needs Co-ordinator (AENCO) who attends regular training to keep up to date with current paperwork and strategies.
© Chuckles Nursery Newport